Sunday, January 25, 2009

Quest 2009 - Part 1

Yes, the 'Quest 2009' an interschool cultural festival organized by the third years of our college has come to an end.Successfully? That will be known a couple of days later when the faculty members comment about it.

My experience in the making of 'Quest 2009'

The journey began 6 weeks ago in the middle of December 2008 when the office bearers were nominated. I, ever eager to go on a vacation did not wish to be in one of those top posts...because they had to stay back for the entire vacation and work for it.I had other plans...the IIM Bangalore visit, the Hyderabad sightseeing and shopping trip, a Pongal at my grandparents place and some days with my family.

I got inducted into the Quest workforce only after coming back from the hols. On my friend B's (I wish to keep my friends anon lest they feel offended...)suggestions and invitation I was put into the Stage Management Committee along with him. With just 2 members in our team we were left to scout for a few more members for our team.To maintain the equilibrium the other two members had to be from the Fairer side(as if we men r unfair!). We had to meet the Staff Incharge for our committee Mrs.T ,who was a teacher I knew from my first semester.She woz one of my favourites (especially because she was the first person in my college to have praised me!).So there was no problem.We met her and she described about all the work that we had to do.In the meantime the girls suggested two names from their side - Thalaivi(thats the nickname I n B gave to her some time later after meeting her!)whom I'll refer to as T ,and K.

Mr.Raja of Tamil Pattimanram and Rajini's Sivaji's 'vanga pazhagalam' fame had been invited as the chief guest for morning function.So the mc-ing had to be in Tamil...I cursed my self ...My Tamil reading was poor,writing horrible and speech in Sutta (pure) Tamil was a Distant Dream (that too in front of a famous Tamil Speaker).That woz because I didn't have any formal training or education in Tamil.Though I used to speak in Tamil at home, I just picked up writing and reading from the names that rolled up on TV screens or on the shop boards in town or Bus Route Boards.And the kind of Tamil that you can expect from such learning will be "...extremely ..g.o.o.d.." !I decided that maybe the only work I'd be left with was spreading table clothes and placing water bottles ...(imagine me sitting in front of a HR Manager n telling him that This was my contribution 4 an event organized by we students...he'd be impressed,won't he be ?)

But luckily 4 me- I was told that the chief guest for the evening was Mrs.U, our mamcorres.Regaining the opportunity for a decent work of mc-ing was satisfactory...but not before I asked B to leave that to me, while he could take up the Tamil MCing...Being one of those guys who knew about my extraordinary proficiency in Tamil, B had to agree. K was the suggestion for Tamil mc-ing from the girls side n T (the next post's exclusively on her,B n my cousin sister)for English... to be contd. in Part2

No comments: